No matter what age you are or what educational background you have, you can learn a foreign language and there are many reasons to do so. Humans have a universal characteristic and ability that is unique and distinguishes them from all other species on this planet. This ability is the complex use and adaptation of communication that we call language. Over thousands of years this has developed and evolved into the complex array of languages that cover the modern world. Here are just a few benefits of adding another language to your abilities.
1. Improve your English – Studying the proper parts of speech in another language can also help you better understand how your own language works. People who have a flair for language, like poets and novelists, often speak more than one language.
2. Travel – Nothing makes traveling to different countries easier than knowing the language. You will not have to depend on English-speaking locals, who can often become annoyed by the fact that you didn’t bother to brush up on the country’s language before visiting.
3. Bragging rights – People who speak different languages just seem more interesting and attractive to others. A foreign language can romance your lover while impressing your boss at the same time.
4. Applying to colleges – Being multi-lingual can put you in the running for acceptance to more schools and better schools. Colleges view the knowledge of difference languages to be extremely functional and value those who took the time to learn them.
5. Resume – Foreign languages can also help you qualify for more jobs. Fields that heavily rely on multi-lingual people are business, teaching and social work..